Big Updates Are Coming to Atlanta’s Favorite Park

Big Updates Are Coming to Atlanta’s Favorite Park

Already, sixty-four percent of Atlanta residents live within a half-mile walk of a park, as a result of years of devotion to a particular vision of the city. Here we continually develop a sense of place in which the people who create, invent and build the 21st Century will want to live. Further facets of that vision are coming into focus, and their impact on the value of Midtown Atlanta real estate continues to unfold.

Proudly chosen as the final announcement of his term, on December 29th Mayor Kasim Reed revealed plans to expand Piedmont Park north to the corner of Piedmont Road and Monroe Drive. Referring to this expansion as a once-in-a-generation opportunity, he outlined plans that will make the expansion a new gateway to what is perhaps the city’s most beloved park, as well as transform the area around Monroe and Piedmont. Mayor Reed called Piedmont Park “the city’s crown jewel,” and he is not the first.

The expansion will be connected to the Atlanta Beltline. Plans are purely conceptual at this stage, and a community engagement process will proceed, to ensure that the usefulness of the park expansion is felt fully by area residents and business leaders.

Our Splendid Botanical Garden Grows Too

In a coordinated expansion, the Atlanta Botanical Garden too will grow east, along Piedmont Road, to bring the Garden to the future path of the Atlanta Beltline trail. A treasure unmatched anywhere in the region, the Garden gives Atlanta a place to enjoy, to learn, to be together and appreciate all that Nature has provided to favor us.

Together these two park expansions will further reveal the treasured greenspaces and improve access to them, including access from the condos for sale in Midtown Atlanta, like the luxury residences of 1065 Midtown.

The Concerted Intent of Public and Private Funding

The park initiatives are another example of Atlanta’s heritage of cooperation. Philanthropies are projected to provide 80% of the necessary funds. The remaining 20% of the cost to expand and develop the parks will come from city sources like park impact fees, transportation sales tax funds and watershed funds. Even the city’s share is supplemented by a private donation of $2 million that came from an anonymous donor the night before the formal announcement.

The availability of these funds, and the particular parcels of land required, were said to be a moment of opportunity not to be missed.

The dynamic, forward-moving energy of Atlanta includes a high regard for continuing to enhance our quality of life. The impact of initiatives like these is a factor we consider carefully, and with inside perspective. Please contact us to schedule your exclusive tour today.